Information for New Members and Fees
Welcome to the Markham Kendo Club! We are glad that you have decided to learn the martial art of kendo. Our dojo is built on a foundation of respect, both for oneself and for others. We welcome all inexperienced beginners to join us for a no obligation first practice to see if kendo is for you. All necessary equipment will be provided by the club.
There are some club rules and other notes that are important to be aware of and to follow to be a part of our dojo:
Please arrive to the practice at least 15 minutes prior to the start time. This is to ensure that there is enough time to change and to help with the practice area clean-up.
The dojo is a place of respect; for the dojo space itself, your fellow students, your instructors and yourself. It is important to bow into the practice area when entering and leaving. It is also important to greet the sensei (instructors) and other students politely and with a clear voice. The shinai represents the sword, and, as such, it must be treated respectfully. It is never kicked, thrown or used as a walking stick or a bat.
The first month of lessons:
- What To Wear: Please wear loose clothing such as a plain shirt and shorts or appropriate athletic pants. Kendo requires a sliding footwork technique so pants that are too long or too stiff will not be appropriate.
- What Not To Wear: Please do not wear watches and any jewelry such as rings, bracelets, large necklaces or large earrings. Stud earrings and small/thin necklace chains are acceptable.
- Equipment: The club will loan the “shinai” (bamboo sword) for you to use during practice. It is to be returned at the end of practice.
- Cost: The kendo club operates as a drop-in class at the Centennial Community Center. The drop-in fee is paid directly to the Center; please see the representative from the Center who will in front of the practice area.
These are the current drop-in rates as of September 5, 2023:
|Seniors 65 years and older||$3.64|
The second month and beyond
At this point, you will be asked to formally join the kendo club. This means you will be required to:
- Purchase your own shinai. The shinai is your sword so it is important to have and to care for your own. The club does have shinai for sell.
- Purchase a club T-shirt ($15). Please wear the T-shirt to practice as a kind of uniform until you decide to purchase the actual kendo uniform.
- Start paying the membership fee. We collect fees four times a year (3 months payment) with the opportunity to pay for discounted half year of full year. Payments may be made in cash, cheque (payable to Markham kendo Club) or eTransfer ([email protected]). Depending on when you join, your first payment may be a prorated amount so that you can catch up to the payment cycle.
|Monthly Rate||Half Year||Full Year|
|16 Yrs & Older||$30||$170||$330|
|15 Yrs & Younger||$25||$145||$275|
|Family (2 members or more)||10% discount on total|
- Kendo Uniform: The club does not have a specific timeframe for when you are required to purchase the actual kendo uniform (keiko-gi and hakama) other than it is required for when you become ready to wear the full equipment. Please discuss with your instructor.
- Kendo Equipment: You will be advised when you have achieved a sufficient proficiency of basic skills to be ready to wear the full kendo equipment (armor). Please discuss with your instructor.Sep
Ready to join or have further questions? Fill out the form and we’ll be happy to help: